I agree with Sebastian on this matter Guy,

Here at the University of Montreal we use an Access database to manage the
metadata to our theses. Then, with an export module we convert to the
TEIHeader, DC in HTML, and other interchange formats. We haven't programed
the RDF export template yet since we are waiting to see IF it is worthwhile
to use this format.

And since we are closely working with other universities that uses
proprietary formats for metadata, building a new export template is very
simple and with a simple click you have all your metadata in the new format.

jf