Dan Sulani <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>     Today I asked an Argentinian who I work with

Oh! Where is he from exactly? And where are *you* BTW?

> about empanadas, and he replied that a _real_
> Argentinian meal consists of three things:

Well, not necessarily the three of them *together*!

>     1) asado (which he translated as grilled meat)

Or barbecue, maybe. It's (cow) meat, with intestines,
and some other viscerae <sp?>. Including ribs, too.
How much meat? I've had over one pound... It's usually
cooked on a wire frame, just above some coal fire
(*never* in an oven or using fuel!), and the _asador_
(the cook, that is) is traditionally granted wine or
beer while he stands on guard beside it, and greeted
with an applause when the asado is served. :)

>     2) empanadas
>     3) locro
> When I asked him what locro was, he just shut his
> eyes and smiled.
> Can anyone tell me what locro is?

It's a kind of stew, with cow meat, pig paws, tail,
and ears, white maize or wheat, beans of several kinds,
and some other stuff I don't know the English for. It
used to be traditionally eaten on patriotic holidays,
together with empanadas and lots of wine, but it's like
eating a time bomb. And it's not easy to make -- takes
several hours.

--Pablo Flores
  http://draseleq.conlang.org/pablo-david/