Quoth John Cowan:
> >=20
> > Of course we do!
> > If I had a pet cow, that is what I would call her.
>=20
> Sure.  "-chen" is a productive suffix that can be added to any noun,
> so "Kuhchen" is a valid word in principle.  The question is whether
> anyone has *actually* used it other than to construct this example.
>=20
> I did an Alta Vista search, which turned up only one page, which
> on investigation used "K=FChchen" /kyC@n/ anyhow.

Aber nat=FCrlich!  When -chen is added (-lein too?  I forget), it fronts
the main vowel, i.e. umlauts it.  Thus "Katz" but "K=E4tzchen", "Mad" but
"M=E4dchen", and presumably "Kuh" but "K=FChchen".

--=20
-=3D-Don [log in to unmask]<http://www.cs.brown.edu/=
~dpb/>-=3D-
Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check?