Nik Taylor wrote:

> > I remember
> > the discussion long ago about how English final unvoiced consonants (in some
> > dialects at least) seem to have no release
>
> Well, it seems to be free variation with slight release, /k&t/ can be
> either [k_h&t*] (where * represents no release) or [k_h&t], with a
> slight release.  If emphasized, [k_h&t_h] with definite aspiration.

For me, word-final stops are generally not released, but I think
more commonly something like sandhi operates, so that "The
cat isn't asleep" turns out something like [D@ k_h&r* Idn=t
@slip], where [r*] is the something similar to the voiced tap.

> > While I'm on the
> > subject, I've also theorized that the so-called voiced t in words like
> > <little> might be [t_}], but I'm not sure.
>
> For me, that's definitely an alveolar tap, like Spanish {r}, and I think
> that's the way it is in most American dialects.

Hmm... I'd agree with you, except that that allophone for me is
articulated farther forward in the mouth than what I normally associate
with the Spanish <r> (from my meager experience via TV and the
cleaning ladies and such... <sigh>).  Not quite dental, however.