Dans un courrier dat=E9 du 01/11/99 01:33:01  , Pablo a =E9crit :

> > > Is it a coincidence that 'repeat' has 're-' in it? Where does
>  > > it come from?
>  >
>  > It's from the Latin verb peto, main senses 'attack/go towards' and
>  > 'ask for'. English has 'petition' and 'repetition' from Mediaeval
>  > Latin, I guess, and 'repeat' from Latin through French.
> =20
>  Oh yes, Spanish has _pedir_ 'to ask for, to request' (it's one of
>  the e->i alternating verbs, BTW; does it happen in French too?).

p=E9tition (a petition) > p=E9titionner (to petition)

"p=E9tir" doesn't exist and "p=E9ter" means - sorry for that but
etymology allows - "to fart".
locution "in peto" is used.

>  I guess _repetir_ didn't shift medial /t/ > /d/ because it wasn't
>  common enough. It's curious that 'to request again' becomes 'to
>  repeat', but in fact Spanish _repetir_ also means 'to ask for more
>  food, to request another dish to be served'.

r=E9p=E9ter =3D "to repeat".
no p=E9tir nor r=E9p=E9tir.
sp. repetir vs. fr. r=E9p=E9ter.
sp. tener vs. fr. tenir.

i think french are right and spaniards are wrong
since i could find "r=E9p=E9t=E9r" and "tenir" in my
authoritative dictionary.

but as glorious auxlangers used to repetir :
"this all makir senso and i va showar you
which is righte and which haver to changir his ways -
you dumbo romancia speakeros."

mathias