> Date:         Fri, 5 Nov 1999 14:41:33 +0000
> From: Paul Bennett <[log in to unmask]>

> Anybody like to exchange ideas as to how PIE (essentially 2 or 3
> syllables with stress?) could turn into a monosyllabic lang with
> tones?

Well, for inspiration you might look into how rural Norwegian came to
be the way it is; I think a lot of the words there are monosyllables,
and it has a tonal distinction.

But looking at your own ideas, you seem to want simple open syllables
with a more complex tone system... well, perhaps you can just
extrapolate Norwegian further along the lines of Chinese, then.

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <[log in to unmask]> (Humour NOT marked)