* [log in to unmask] ([log in to unmask]) [991105 19:17]:
> tal>>>>>>
> Crash-course, Norwegian tonemes (pardon my stunt-translations):
>=20
> [snip]
>=20
> SAMPA:
>   \  -
> <b=F8nder> /'b2n@r/ "peasants"
>  /\  /
> <b=F8nner> /"b2n@r/ "beans"
>=20
> <<<<<<
>=20
> Would this normally be marked in a standard english <-> norwegian dicti=
onary?

I haven't used an English <-> Norwegian dictionary since kiddie-school
(they weren't allowed on exams before, only E <-> E) so I really can't
tell... a proper E <-> N dictionary should do so, as the proper N <-> N
does. Will check tho'.

> Are there any defined orthgraphic features (intervocalic cluster of
> different/same consonants?) that makes this predictable?

I'm a native speaker, I wouldn't know :) Frankly, many VC:V-verbs (<ligge=

<finne> "find" etc.) are t2 in my dialect, (as well as being apocoped
and some of them palatalized and... *muhahaha*). It was never touched
upon neither in the regular pre university Norwegian-classes nor in the
linguistics-classes I've taken at uni... Btw, names ending in -sen (Hanse=
n,
Larsen...) are all t1, as far as I know.

tal.
--=20
"Better living through conlanging"