On         Thu, 11 Nov 1999 20:44:53 -0700, Robert J. Petry, C.L. wrote:

> Charles wrote:
>
> > "Leo J. Moser" wrote the part(s) with one > at the beginning!

At risk of being tedious, no, my comment here now has
three >  marks on it -- was two.  ........Leo

> > > Lost track of what that is. Is that a reborn
> > > Occidental?
> >
> > Kinda; that's Bob Petry's concept of a re-launched,
> > possibly a de-Bergerized, Occidental.
>
> The first language of de Wahl was called AULI.
> It meant, and still does: AUxiliari L ingue I nternational.
>
> The first appearance of Auli was actually before 1906, but became more
> complete by 1911.
> During this time de Wahl had his own private "yacht" which he named AULI
> also. I think he liked the name. And, so do I.
>
> Then in 1922 de Wahl introduced to the world his "matured" AU.L.I. under
> the name Occidental. It was known as Occidental until 1949. At that
> time, just after de Wahl's death, at the instigation of Sr.
> Berger(meister crook) it was changed to Interlingue in preparation for
> his leading Occidentalists into a merger with Interlingua. Why, look,
> you only have to change the E at the end of the word to A.
>
> In one of the later Cosmoglotta jurnales the masthead had "Li PRIM
> Lingue International".
>
> So, as in the Beginning so is it in the Ending. ;-) AULI de Wahl's
> preferred first name for an Auxiliary Lingue International, built upon
> the occidental base, has now arrived at the Auli-PRIM. i.e. The top and
> leading Auxiliari Lingue International. So, the source of the term
> Auli-PRIM is a combining of de Wahl's own term for HIS language when it
> began, and the combination of the word PRIM from the Cosmoglotta mast
> head. Nothing is original here with me, it comes from de Wahl and his
> own jurnal, that's all.
>
> So, Occidental IS Li Auli-PRIM. Thus, I am only dropping my personal use
> of the misleading and destructive name Interlingue, and returning to
> using Occidental, with the properly descriptive addition of the phrase
> Auli-PRIM, which includes within the name the flow of Occidental through
> its history from Auli to being the PRIM Lingue International. From the
> beginning ripples of a new naturalistic language through its growth to
> adulthood under the name Occidental to its ultimate stage as Auli grown
> up to full maturity, i.e. Li Auli-PRIM.
>
> Occidental is Li Auli-PRIM, and now is growing back towards its former
> stature and beyond.
>
> Thankfully, many others are beginning to become enthused about it too,
> now that enough information is finally being placed before the public to
> see what it actually is.
>
> So, that's what Auli-PRIM is, it is Occidental as used up till the death
> of de Wahl, when it was then the most powerful IAL in existence as far
> as growing power and growing influence.
>
> Cordialmen,
> Bob, x+O~

Thanks for the explanation. At one point (in 1996?) I
remember opining on Auxlang or Conlang that one of the
major srikes against Occidental was, IMO, its name.
And the change to Interlingue only seemed yet another
weak choice to me. So maybe you are remedying this.

Leo J. Moser