 Leo J. Moser <[log in to unmask]>
>It is mentioned several places (including Pei's "One Language
>for the World" 1958) but I'd like to clarify the origin? Was
>this something done by Gode?
>
>And more importantly, how would this text come out in
>normal Interlingua?
>
>Or in Esperanto -- or other languages?
I would be interested in translations of this to other langs too...

Here's the scoop from Mario Pei's book
http://adam.cheshire.net/~jjbowks/auxiling/_icont.html

Interlingua Intercontinental (A. Gode) 1950's

"Mata-hari yu: 'Wo-ti nama tata-hari. Wo taihen brillante. Wo leva wo a est,
dan toki wo leva wo,
ada hari. Wo miru per ni-ti fenestra sama wo-ti mata brillante como kin, dan
wo yu ni toki ada
tempo a levar ni. Dan wo yu ni: "Sust, leva ni. Wo non brilla sam-rap ni
tomaru a toko a nemuru,
sed wo brilla sam-rap ni tomaru a toko a nemuru, sed wo brilla sam-rap ni
leva ni, dan que ni
suru kam, ni yomu, dan ni aruku."'"

Translation:
The sun says: 'My name is sun. I am very brilliant. I rise in the east, and
when I rise, it is day. I
look through your window with my eye as bright as gold, and I tell you when
it is time to get up.
And I say to you: "Lazy one, get up. I don't shine so that you may stay in
bed sleeping but that
you may get up and work, that you read and go walking."'"

As quoted by Mario Pei in One Language for the World, p. 171-3.

"...the major proponent of Interlingua [de IALA], Dr. Alexander Gode,
presents a defense and justification of his system
which is well worth considering. His international language, he claims, is
meant primarily for use in written form at
scientific congresses (indeed, it has already been so used, and with seeming
success); the language of science and
technology, he goes on to add, is purely and simply a conglomeration of
western tongues, and particularly of Latin and
Greek international roots, with next to no participation by Slavic,
Oriental, or even the popular element of Germanic
languages. The Russian, Japanese, Indian, or African scientist who wishes to
attend a scientific gathering must perforce
have learned the essential western scientific vocabulary in order to have
taken even the first steps in his profession;
therefore, the adoption of a western international language works no
hardship on him whatsoever.

"A further point that he strikingly illustrates is this: we can grant
proportional representationto the major Oriental
tongues (Chinese, Japanese, Persian, Malay, Arabic, and Hindustani), but
these tongues are mutually incomprehensible.
Without special study, the speaker of Hindustani will be just as much at a
loss before a Chinese as before a Latin word.
Hence, by insisting on broadening our international base, we run a dicided
risk of making our language comprehensible
to no one, westerners or Orientals.

"By way of demonstration, he offers the following passage first in
Interlingua as it is, next in Interlingua as it would be if
proportional representation were granted to the Asian group:

"'Le sol dice: "Io me apella sol. Io es multo brillante. Io me leva al est,
e quando io me leva, il es die. Io reguarda per tu
fenestra con mi oculo brillante como le auro, e io te dice quando il es
tempore a levar te. E io te dice: 'Pigro, leva te. Io
non brilla a fin que tu resta al lecto a dormir, sed que tu te leva e
labora, que tu lege e que tu te promena.'"'
(This should be readily understood by anyt speaker of a western language,
including English. But just in case, the
translation goes: "The sun says: 'My name is sun. I am very brilliant. I
rise in the east, and when I rise, it is day. I look
through your window with my eye as bright as gold, and I tell you when it is
time to get up. And I say to you: "Lazy one,
get up. I don't shine so that you may stay in bed sleeping but that you may
get up and work, that you read and go
walking."'")

Note now the transition to an intercontinental version:

'Mata-hari yu: "Wo-ti nama tata-hari. Wo taihen brillante. Wo leva wo a est,
dan toki wo leva wo, ada hari. Wo miru per
ni-ti fenestra sama wo-ti mata brillante como kin, dan wo yu ni toki ada
tempo a levar ni. Dan wo yu ni: 'Sust, leva ni. Wo
non brilla sam-rap ni tomaru a toko a nemuru, sed wo brilla sam-rap ni
tomaru a toko a nemuru, sed wo brilla sam-rap
ni leva ni, dan que ni suru kam, ni yomu, dan ni aruku.'"'

The first point is that no westerner will even begin to understand this
without very special study. The second, and
perhaps even more important point is that the Malay speaker, who supplied
mata-hari and sam-rap, will not understand
the Chinese wo-ti, and yu, or the Japanese taihen and nemuru; nor will his
words be understood by the speakers of the
latter languages.

"Samples of Constructed Languages", One Language for the World, Mario Pei.
1958.

(ojo)
`\_/' http://adam.cheshire.net/~jjbowks