Kuty wrote:

> >e) MEFLOQUINE (Lariam) 250mg Tablets: Take ONE tablet ONCE
> > a week, with food. Take on the same day  each week, at the
> >same time. **This drug is recognized as the strongest
> >preventative treatment currently available,
>
> The main problem with this drug is that one of its side effect might be
> hallucinations and dizziness.  In terms of a diving vacation, it can
> increase the risk of N2 narcosis so it was not recommended by doctors who
> were more familiar with scuba diving.

Hallucinations and dizziness are only two of the vast array of nasty side
effects of Lariam. Several of its known side effects are similar to symptoms
of DCS, and hence can produce wrong diagnoses. Either the diver can be
wrongly dianosed with DCS, and miss out on some diving, or the diver or the
doctor attributes the symptoms to the drug, and so does not diagnose DCS,
which is of course worse. I would suggest re-evaluating your choice of
diving destination if you really need this drug to go there!

Bjorn
http://www.bjornjensen.com