John Nitrox said:

>At 01:47 PM 11/10/99 +0100, Magnus Johnson wrote:
>>
>>We invented it (it's all "the Empire" has left!). . any deviations
>>therefore from the pure version should be refered to as 'dialect',
>>'Canadian', 'Convictsian', 'Kiwisian', 'United-Statesian' or 'Slang'  :-)
>

>       When you say, We invented it,..." are you speaking as a Johnson who
>sailed
>with the Norweigans from France in 1066, as a relative of the
>lexicographer, Dr. Johnson, or as a compatriot of Gordon McKay, an old
>fraternity brother of mine who bragged about beating the hell out of
>Prince
>Charles at Gordonston, bitched about Culloden, and taught us to sing
>English(?), "...it's a bragh bricht moon licht nicht...."

I'm impressed!  I of course meant 'we', as in 'we British'

I think that phrase should be 'braw bricht moon-licht nicht the-nicht'
which is probably based on the lowland (low-land ?) scots dialect. I
believe I'm right in thinking that the current form of 'English' is derived
from the language 'Inglis' that was originally spoken in the borders, so it
would perhaps be more correct to refer to modern 'English' as 'Scottish'
:-)

I have also found, to my chagrin, that many words and pronounciations,
commonly used by United-statesians (and other former colonies), are often
more true to English as it was spoken originally than modern British (i.e
BBC) english is.

Dr Magnus Johnson
Biology Department
University of Leicester