>From: Irina Rempt-Drijfhout <[log in to unmask]>
>
>On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, J. Barefoot wrote:
>
> > al ani anit ha tisuuya
> > the 1s.gen sister.nom 3sf.gen doorway.nom
>
>Is this
>
>    the [[my sister] her] doorway
>
>or
>
>    [the [my sister]] her doorway?
>
>That is, which one has the article? Is "my sister" definite enough
>not to need the article (like in Dutch or English) or does it take
>one anyway (like in, I think, modern Greek; anyone who can prove or
>deny this?)
>
>    Irina

Strangly enough, the 2nd one. The construction is literally "the sister of
me," with the genitive in an odd position. The original construction had an
article for the doorway too, and I guess the "deep" structure still does,
but it's dropped. The underlying structure is "the sister of mine, the
doorway of hers," but the second phrase gets simplified.
Have I analysed this right/realistically?

Jennifer