To those who are interested in my guidemaps,

I have posted a new EM guidemap on the subject of "penetrating neck
injuries" on my educational website at:-
http://www.homestead.com/emguidemaps/JeffMannEMguidemaps.html

Penetrating neck trauma is a complex subject and there is a wide
variation in clinical practice - from routine mandatory surgical
exploration of all penetrating neck wounds to a super-selective approach
based on extensive diagnostic testing.

From an EP's point-of-view, the major issues are:-

Who needs to be intubated and when/how should they be intubated?
What are the optimal approaches to airway management if intubation
fails?
When is immediate surgery indicated?
When is angiography indicated?
When is panendoscopy indicated to rule-out aero-digestive injury?
Should there be a different diagnostic approach depending on the zone of
injury?

I am definitely no "expert" on the subject and I have simply tried to
develop a reasonably rational approach to a complex clinical problem.
Please feel free to offer any criticism or commentary that will make my
guidemap more accurate and more evidence-based. I am always willing to
learn how to improve my clinical approach to difficult ED
"case-scenarios".

Jeff.

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: