Dear Norm

We believe that we should keep the communication line open with our patients
after they leave.
We tell them that they will be called for all POSITIVE and Abnormal results.
We call the PMD if any of their patients have positive results.
We call for a followup on all "sick patient".
However we refer all PMD offices to the lab if they call us for "lab results"
and we advise them to get on the hospital lab network.
If patients call us when it is busy ("the doctor is treating a very sick
baby..." we ask them to call us when it is not busy (usually in the early
morning).
The way patients are called is like this:
All residents and students must keep a list of all the patients they see
(There is a month end review of compliance and they are being told that it is
important, and it makes  a part of their 'evaluation').
They must call all their patients for f/u and check the labs prior to.
All positive labs and a record of notifications are entered in the Log Book.
(by the callers, as they make the call.)
This system is a win win system, more important...it works!

Giora Winnik Md
Maimonides

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: