Are you using a thermometer that has oral or rectal equivalents or one that has core mode or
actual temp?  From my understanding of the research the actual and core temps are more accurate.
Your particular patient is nearing the age where accuracy may be effected by lack of cooperation.
I am assuming that your staff has been educated for proper technique.
I will check to see what our ER is doing at present.
Sharon Luke, RN, MS, CPNP