You might have a look at a set of guidelines drafted as part of
a workshop sponsored by the Digital Library Federation at
<http://www.indiana.edu/~letrs/tei>. These guidelines are for
TEILite only. We've chosen the same approach as you by defining
levels of encoding, but ours appear to be at a much more basic
level than yours--your Level 1 probably corresponds to our Level 3,
and your Level 2 would correspond to our Level 4 and beyond.
Guidelines for the TEI Header were also drafted at this workshop,
and are available at the workshop website at
<http://www.hti.umich.edu/misc/ssp/workshops/teidlf/index.html>

Perry Willett
Main Library
Indiana University