Ken Caviness wrote:

> [kut]
>
> In my opinion, the above paragraph is simplistic and distorted.  Charles
> measures ease of learning entirely on a scale based on root-recognizability
> from the source languages.  An alternative view is that regularity and
> reduction of exceptions is more important than preservation of the
> idiosyncrasies of the source languages.  I would not argue that Esperanto
> does the "best possible job" of this (and even doubt whether any optimum is
> possible), but I do think we should recognize that a trade-off exists here.
>
> Another trade-off is whether to learn affixes and use them to construct more
> complicated words or import all these words from the source languages.  There
> are pros and cons to both.  But it is clear that some memorization is
> involved in any case.[kut]

A different tact.

Esperanto had a forty year head start on Occidental, and even more on
Interlingua.
Today, both these languages have a "known" base of participants than does
Occidental, or Ido, etc.

Now, all points aside on grammar, vocabulary, ease, simplicity, what will get a
language going big time?

Money, sweet and simple.

In the beginning large amounts of money were put into Esperanto [in the relative
value of money in that time].
Ido had money poured into it by a couple of folks too, but not nearly enough to
make an impact.
In the last attempt at a language ILa, large amounts of money were dumped in,
even though that ended.

Now, the two largest user bases for IAL's today, so far as we know, are Esperanto
and ILa.
Both these languages also have materials available for SALE to help keep the
costs covered of producing materials.

None of the others, at this point, had/have any funds to operate with. So, the
hue and cry is, put it all on the net for FREE.

This is utter business practice nonsense done for utopists who have no concept of
paying for promoting something, and hobbyists who don't want to pay for anything
because their very existence means, to them, they are OWED the information free.
Again, this is destructive nonsense.

As long as Esperanto has a financial base through SALE of publications, in spite
of some basic info on the net for free, it will continue to surpass in numbers.
Take away the funding, give away all their material for free, and within a week
or less, it will grind down to virtually nothing.

Put funding into Ido for advertising, etc., take its vocabulary off the internet
and sell the books instead and Ido will surpass Esperanto in 5 years.

The same with Glosa, etc. Esperanto is proof that the language itself doesn't
matter, just properly promote it and people will try it.

When people in the IAL field finally get off their "welfare mentality" with these
languages and get to work and PAY for the effort to get the job done with
M-O-N-E-Y and blood, sweat and tears, then any and all of them can and will made
a dent in the world.

I would rather see Esperanto big and strong and growing, and Interlingua the
same, and Ido the same, and Glosa, and RLR, and Occidental ALL running at the
same time and being used, [that's about 6-10] IAL's, versus what we see today in
Europe and the rest of the world of a minimum of 120 different languages being
used. That doesn't even count the hundreds used in the rest of the world. That
would be a major step in the right direction.

So, how do we get lazy, fat, soft welfare minded hobbyists and crossword puzzle
language solvers off their as--- and get real and go to work?

1. By ignoring them, and going around them, or,
2. having a mass conversion from debatimania merathons, to merathons of actual
production and usage and committment to doing it instead of talking about it, or
3. giving up and going home and watching Monday nite football and Thursday nite
basketball, or
4. watching the debates on the internet that go no where but are more fun than a
barrel of monkeys to participate in.

All successful enterprises have only finally succeeded when the entrepreneurs put
their money where their mouth is. I have not once seen that on any list of IAL
proponents yet. I have seen, "gimme gimme gimme, but don't ask me to contribute,
I am above that materialistic crap."

Somebody keeps talking about getting Bill Gates involved to promote one of the
IAL's. Why him? *****BECAUSE HE HAS MONEY*****. Again, we know the root cause of
the IAL failures, it is lack of MONEY. Buuuuuutttttt don't ask an IALer to use
any of his, why that is below their dignity, right?

Now, I can already visualize the emails responding to this post. How about a
challenge first? Instead of raking me across the coals over this, and wasting
time on that, take the same amount of time and figure out how to promote your own
language in your area where you live. Then, pure and simple, put up or shut up,
and take some of YOUR money and put out some flyers and advertisements in the
newspaper or somewhere, and see if you don't get responses. Then, get those folks
to do the same along with you by POOLING your funds and repeating what you've
done. In five years, you will surpass Esperanto by repeating this over and over.
But, I know this won't be done by anyone. Why? ;-))) "Greed, selfishness, afraid
a friend or someone else will make the money on it instead of a stranger like
Bill Gates, jealousy, lack of real committment, let the other guy/gal do it
attitude, etc. etc."

Yes, I know, no one agrees. What's new?

But, in all seriousness, take the high road. We all know it takes money, the
question is: Can't we just let someone else spend their money [like Bill Gates]
while we get it for free? A creature that feeds on itself dies. The IAL field, in
reality is dead, because it feeds on itself.

Don't believe that's the solution. Well, guess again, it isn't ease, simplicity,
grammar, orient vs occident, it is funding by all participants. Like Paul the
Apostle said, if they won't work they don't eat. The IAL field isn't laboring, it
is feeding on itself and dying.

Cordialmen,
Bob, x+O~