Je 09:08 ptm 12/2/99 -0500, Paul O. BARTLETT skribis

>On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Ken Caviness wrote:
>
> > I agree.  Unless we follow what's-his-name's (*) suggestion of just=
 making
> > sure that all kids around the world learn the same second language, and
> > voila, the language problem would be gone in one generation.
> >
> > (* Sorry, my brain is mush today -- these 14-hour work-days are starting=
> > catch up with me.)
>
>Mario Pei: "One Language for the World" (1958)

Pei suggests this as early as the first page of the Introduction. The=20
principle is inarguable, but I don't think Pei gave much consideration to=20
the logistics of the problem. He believed that _any_ language was suitable,=
=20
but the experience of some fifty years of more-or-less global instruction=20
of English suggests that the stock of competent teachers (not to mention=20
the stock of competent students) for any existing language is not great=20
enough to carry this idea to completion, unless the language in question=20
were to be chosen with great care and not simply as the result of=20
government-level political maneuvering.

-- Don HARLOW

Por la Festa Sezono:
   Vana V., Kiel Ni Mortigadis Leporon por la Anta=FDkristnaska Vesperman=F8=
     http://www.best.com/~donh/Esperanto/Literaturo/Noveloj/mortigadis_lepor=
=20
http://www.best.com/~donh/Esperanto/Literaturo/Noveloj/mortigadis_leporon.ht=
ml