"Robert J. Petry, C.L." wrote:

> Robin Turner wrote:
>
> > "Robert J. Petry, C.L." wrote:
> > [kut]Well, I don't know about Lojbab, but I'm a teacher of English, I
> > have a BA in English and an MA in Applied Linguistics. How much
> > more do I need to do to become "learned" in my own language? You
> > want a PhD or what?
>
> I wasn't speaking of anyone specifically. However, since you have the degrees would you give us
> the correct meaning of the list of word building parts I gave, without looking at a dictionary?
> For instance, what does the "y" mean that we put on the end of words? And, the rest of the list
> I gave? I should have listed all 259. [In fact, if anyone wishes, or enough of the list wishes,
> I'll be glad to list all of them here.] I'll trust that you will do it off the top of your head
> and not "look up any meanings". [note: I'm just giving a friendly ribbing. The first time I saw
> the list I could not give the meaning of all of them.]
>
> But, I am courious, now that you bring this up.
>
> Who can, without cheating, tell us want they all mean?

OK, here goes.  I promise not to cheat, but I can't promise not
to be facetious - it's just the way I am.

ab - take away
able - what it says!
abs - not a real prefix, I think, just "ab" and a root starting
with S
ac - "ad" or "ab" modified by a root (I forget the technical term
for this)
acer - some kind of tree
acid - what it says.
acri - bitter
ad - to
ada - Turkish for "island"
ade - sounds like another pseudo-prefix from "ad"
af - "ad" or "ab" modified by a root again
ag - thi smeans something?
age - what it says
agi - ??
ago - what it says
al - from the Arabic article, as in "algebra", "alcohol" etc.
ali - the fourth Caliph, common Arabic name
allo - variant form,  as in "allophone"
alter - other
amb - ??
ambi - either
amphi - round, I think.
an - not, without
ana - reverse, back, as in "anaphoric"
ance - abstract noun suffix, from French
ancy - should be "mancy" (divination), surely
anni - some variant of "anno"?
annu - ditto
ant - industrious insect.  Also a personal suffix, as in
"respondant"
ante - before
anthrop - human
anti - against
apo - Leader of the PKK, currently appealing against the death
sentence.
ar - "ad" or "ab" modified by a root again
arch - rule, legitimacy
ary - some kind of noun suffix, I forget which
as - "ad" or "ab" modified by a root again
asis - birthplace of St. Francis.
aster - star
astro - star
at - what it says
ata - Turksih for "father", as in "Ataturk". Also a Greek plural
suffix, as in "schemata"
ate - past tense of "eat".  Also adjectival suffix usually
meaning "similar to"
aud - listen
aus - got me there.  I can't think what "auspicious", "austere"
and "Australia" have in common.
aut - self
auto - self
be bene - be good
bi - two
bin - suffix for UNIX files, short for "binary executable
bio - life
bon - good
calor - heat
cap - small, snugly-fiting hat
capit - head
capt - head
cata - forward, opposite of ana
cause- cause
cede - give
ceed - give for Americans
cep - ??
cept - ?? (I really ought to know this)
cess - stop
chrom - colour
chron - time
cian - mis-spelling of "cyan"?
cide - kill
circ - round
circum - around
cise - cut
civ - city
claim - claim
clam - type of shellfish
clud - ??
clus - ??
cognosc - knowing
con - against
coni - Old/Middle English for female genitalia
con - you just said that
cord - cord
corpor - body
cour - heart
court - court
crea - ??
cred - believe
cub - young animal
cule - looks like a pseudo-suffix from -ule
cumb - ??
cus - swear
cuse - ??
ian - adjectival suffix, "coming from" (more-or-less)
ible - see "able"
ic - another adjectival suffix
icle - looks like a pseudo-suffix from -ule
il - "in" modified by a root
ile - another adjectival suffix
im - "in" modified by a root
in - not (scalar negative)
ine - another adjectival suffix
intellect - intellect
intellig - what you are beginning to insult here, heh heh
inter - between
intra - within
intro - going in
ion - abstract noun suffix
ir - "in" modified by a root
ish - vague adjectival suffix ("blueish") or national suffix
("Spanish")
ism - ideological suffix
ist - person doing or believing in something (a potentially
hazardous conflation, IMO)
ite - people beaten up by the Hebres, e.g. Canaanite.
ity - another abstract noun suffix
ive - aspectual suffix
ize - verbal suffix overused in American English, e.g.
"buglarize" for "burgle"
nasc - born
nat - natural, as in "ntlang" ;-)
neo - new, also a character in The Matrix
ness - yet another abstract noun suffix.  I'm beggining to think
Lojban abstraction is easy!
neur - brain
non - not (non-scalar negative, wow, Lojban really has taught me
a lot!)
nounc - speak?
nov - new
number - oh, come _on_!
numer - number
nunci - nounce (heh heh)
plais - don't know, but sounds French
plu - extra
plur - pseudo-prefix from plu
plus - plus
pneuma - breath
pneumon - male breath ;-)
pod - leg
poly - many
potes - can do
puls - lentuils, etc.
punct - point
re - again, also what gets put on e-mail replies
rect - right, though how we get "rectum" from that, I don't know
recti - ditto
ri - sounds like one of those obscure IALs
ridi - sounds like another pseudo-prefix
risi - ditto
rog - short for "Roger"
roga - ??
sang - blood
sat - short for "Saturday"
satis - ??
scope - vision
scrib - write
se - passive voice in Spanish and Lojban
semi - half
sesqui - one of those obscure number prefixes I can never
remember
simil - like
sion - another of those {mabla} noun suffixes
soph - wise
tact - touch
tain - vegetable suffix, as in "plantain"
tang - sharp taste
tra - across
tion - another of those {mabla} noun suffixes
tui - ??
tuit - ??
ty - another of those {mabla} noun suffixes
ultima - last
ure - some French suffix
vac - empty
vert - green