>From:    Robin Turner <[log in to unmask]>
>OK, here goes.  I promise not to cheat, but I can't promise not
>to be facetious - it's just the way I am.
>
>ab - take away

And "abdomen" is therefore "to take away a house" with a Germanic plural

>abs - not a real prefix, I think, just "ab" and a root starting
>with S
    I think this is the root of "absolute", but I was inclined to be
facetious myself and refer to fitness.

>ac - "ad" or "ab" modified by a root (I forget the technical term
>for this)
I figured this was the root in "accede".  But is it also in "acrimony" -
nope, acri is down further in the list.  Neither is productive in English.

>acer - some kind of tree
I think he meant the root of "acerbic", but maybe you are right and he
wants "maple".

>acid - what it says.
>acri - bitter
>ad - to

and everyone who knows that good Latin borrowing "ad hoc" can see how "made
up on the spot" relates to "to".

>ada - Turkish for "island"

adamant? (is the root ada or adam?)

>ade - sounds like another pseudo-prefix from "ad"

I figured this was the suffix meaning drink.

>af - "ad" or "ab" modified by a root again
Is affix "to-fix" or "take-away-fix"?

>ag - this means something?
if it had been "agri" which was not on the list, it might

>age - what it says
image?

>amb - ??
ambient?  maybe "environment"

>ana - reverse, back, as in "anaphoric"

But then there is the suffix meaning (maybe) "place" (Indiana)

>ancy - should be "mancy" (divination), surely

So what do "fancy" and "Nancy" mean?  I figured this was just another form
of "ance".  Apparently back in the 1700s people taked interchangeably about
independence and independency

>anni - some variant of "anno"?
>annu - ditto

One of these has to do with rings and annother to do with years, and I have
no idea how "announce" fits in.  (Spelling typo was intentional, of course).

>apo - Leader of the PKK, currently appealing against the death
>sentence.
Is he an apostate?  Would he get off if he gave an apology?

>ar - "ad" or "ab" modified by a root again
>as - "ad" or "ab" modified by a root again

You're having fun with this, I can tell.

>at - what it says
as well as probably also another "modified by a root" in some cases

>cata - forward, opposite of ana

Does that mean that an "anapult" fires missiles backwards?  And what is
forward about a "catacomb"

I'll stop here.  People think I go on too long when teasing Petry.

lojbab
----
lojbab                     ***NOTE NEW ADDRESS***           [log in to unmask]
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA               703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban:
   see Lojban WWW Server: href=" http://xiron.pc.helsinki.fi/lojban/ "