On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Robert J. Petry, C.L. wrote (short excerpts):

> In reality, the only thing needed to use Occidental is some basic reading material
> and the short partial page grammar which fits on a postcard. All the rest is just
> for internal curiosity to be satisfied by those who must think they know every
> little possible detail about grammar, spelling, pronunciation, etc.

    I do not wholely agree.  For example, I think it would be
beneficial if not only the "postcard-sized" grammar were provided but
also the short "grammatical" words.  It is precisely with respect to
the latter that I am unsure of just how much of an Occidental text I
have understood.  And has been remarked (such as with the "Interlingua-
English Dictionary" and elsewhere) it is precisely the grammatical
words which are the *least* international, and therefore most likely to
erroneous interpretation.

> Thus, with Occidental, it is like a child who goes to school for the first time.
> That child already knows enough of his/her language to use it without ever knowing
> the grammar. In school he/she learns the grammar and more vocabulary in his/her own
> language. This is how Occidental is learned the easiest. Just like it was when it
> first grew. People learned to use it without many rules by just receiving and
> reading the Kosmoglott jurnales. After they learned to read it, and write in it, and
> speak in it, the grammars were presented.

    I do not see the circumstances of children and adults as entirely
parallel.  I have a hard time comprehending this resistance to making
vocabularies available.  Yes, given enough time and effort, some
(please note) adults may learn Occidental somewhat as children do, but
why is it so objectionable to make things easier for most adults and
provide them vocabularies, especially for the "grammatical stickum"
words?  I sometimes *think* I may understand much of an Occidental
text, but I am never quite sure.  I simply do not concur with your
opinion that "this is how Occidental is learned the easiest," but you
seem to be taking the position that those who disagree with you you
willl merely ignore, even if with other consideration they might be
"converts to the cause."

--
Paul                                  <[log in to unmask]>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA