Charles <[log in to unmask]>
>The stress in Occidental must be very light, because we want to accomodate
>both French with its word-final and German with its first-syllable pattern.
>Actually it could work either way in OCC, but we take the middle approach
>and use basically a penult stress.

This emphasis on French is disgusting to me.
No offense, it just seems too partially discriminated.

With the great number of Spanish and Portuguese
speakers throughout the world why put so much
dependence on French? ... and German? It makes
very little sense to me. For one, the differences in
French creoles are so great that I find the varieties
unintelligible... but I can understand Papiamentu
virtually with no problems, any Spanish speaker
can with little problem.  However, the differences
in Brasilian Portuguese and European Portuguese
are probably similarly perplexing to a Parisian
hearing Portuguese.

I dunno, I simply think that it would be in the interests
of an IAL to cater to the greater number of Hispanics
and Lusitanos than to a past interlanguage of the
elite monarchic nobles. The folks in Paris may think
they're living la vida loca, but it is the young latinos
who are crossing over bilingual bridges today...
Ricky Martin, Enrique Iglesias, Marc Anthony, etc.
It is an invasion of sorts that hasn't even reached its
peak yet.

Spanish is alive and has the rhythm of the international
heart... French, French? French has been... period.

:-)))

Je ne suis pas un franco-phile, mais aussi je ne suis pas un
amant de l'anglais.

Since,
Jay B.