Michael Talbot-Wilson wrote:

> [log in to unmask] said:
> > A passing thought or two.
>
> Hmm?
>
> > It seems to me that the thinking that an "at site" language of the
> > "occident" cannot be more than just a "european" theatre curiosity, or
> > whatever, is a bit shortsighted. Not by anyone in particular, but as a
> > concept held by many.
>
> > (etc. Lengthy and misdirected advocacy cut,)
>
> The vices of extreme naturalism seem to have been discussed thoroughly
> enougt over the last 60 years.  What you have is a language difficult
> for orientals, and you argue that occidentals should, disregarding all
> else including personal interests, learn it so that it will be powerful
> enough to force itself upon orientals.
>
> They are not going to disregard all else.  Many people, even Europeans,
> if they are going to learn a planned language expect it to have a
> simplicity and regularity that are missing in Occidental.  They see
> that as something satisfying in itself and also something that gives
> the language credibility as a world language; not to mention extending
> a certain courtesy to non-Europeans.
>
> Occidental is starting to convey to me a flavour of narrow fanaticism.
> You stake all on the single virtue of at-sight readability, and on the
> theory that that should lead eventually to the capacity to apply
> force.
>
> A more level-headed language such as Ido, which compromizes a little on
> at-sight readability and thereby obtains strong advantages in other
> respects, is likely to be more attractive to more Europeans than one
> that they can "read at sight" if that is all they can do, if a sense of
> understanding the language rather than being able merely to read
> sentences in it is difficult to arrive at, and if it carries the baggage
> of extremism and fanaticism, as, on present showing, Occidental must.
>
> Regards,
> Michael Talbot-Wilson

I know it is not appreciated to repost an email with just a quick comment.
But, in this case to me it seems appropriate.
*None* of the above has anything at all to do with the proposition to use
Occidental, it is totally off base. Ido doesn't hack it anymore than Esp
does. The above was just a lead in to promote Ido. What's new?

Cordialmen,
Bob, x+O~