From: Charles <[log in to unmask]> comunu:

> Well, they all do; it is a lot easier to learn the flexible rules
> of Occidental et al to any required depth, than to puzzle out Lojban.
> I doubt anyone will ever learn a loglang in a week.

Not even my loglang Dublex?! :-)

> And no, a non-eurolang-speaker can't hope to learn OCC in a week.
> More and more, I think the big problem really is in the vocabulary,
> not the grammar that everybody keeps tweaking. In fact, it may
> have been you who first clued me into that thought ...

I agree that lexical acquisition is the primary hurdle.

> And in that case, etymological spelling is clearly the best
> strategy to follow. It took me a long time to be convinced of that.

You know how I would argue. :-)  That a highly agglutinative minimal set of
roots is the best bet.  Not only are there fewer words to learn in the first
place, the compounds reinforce mastery of the core lexicon:

barvic -- train
bombvic -- minesweeper
dargvic -- car
jamadvic -- ski
luftvic -- airplane
sebvic -- locomotive
vodvic -- boat

Quick now! what's the word for "vehicle"?!  http://langmaker.com/dublex/x

Viangarm,

Jeffrey Henning
http://www.LangMaker.com/ - Invent Your Own Language
[log in to unmask] - Win $100 in the DublexGame contest!

"If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time Windows crashed....  Oh, wait, he
does!"