Hi Gang,

Funny how you can dive the same place all the time and yet learn something new
on just about every venture.

Last Saturday, rather than dive Shelley Beach in the usual manner, my buddy and
I elected to dive Fairy Bower which is along the left side of Cabbage Tree Bay
whereas Shelly Beach heads off to the right.
Maxing out at 7-8 meters this dive is a nice alternative and offers the
occasional surprise.

On our way back to the beach we chanced upon what looked like small black worms
which appeared to be looking for tidbits in the sand. We stopped to have a good
look. Upon observation we noted that these worm-like critters appeared to be
coming out of two holes in the sand. Because the sand kept falling back into
the holes it took us a while to figure out that these were not worms but the
appendages of another critter. Fanning the sand away we noted that these two
blacks objects were attached to a small ray. We agreed that this was a small
Ray and continued on with our dive. It turns out that these black worm-like
critters belong to a Numb-Ray which has the potential of delivering a nasty
shock to the unwary. I have seen free swimming Numb Rays before but never one
exhibiting this sort of feeding behaviour, if indeed that's what it was doing.

Keeping to a policy of "look but don't touch", it was probably wise to let the
eyes do the exploring rather than the hands, on this occasion.

Other critters encountered on this dive included two healthy looking Sting
Rays, Old Wives, a rather large-ish Wobbegong, a school of Yellowtail,
numbering about 300 or so, a curious Blue Groper, plenty of Rock Cods,
Leatherjackets galore and some nice Surgeonfishes.

Birdo