At 09:05 AM 12/13/99 +1100, Strike wrote:
>On Sunday, December 12, 1999 4:27 PM, Reef Fish wrote;
>
>>You need somebody to kick up some sand here!  Regretably, I'll
>> be gone again, DIVING this time in Cozumel, for the rest of this CENTURY
>> (and shut up, Chuck, about the pedantry about this century <G>) a couple
>> more days!  :-)
>
>It's dark and dirty work - but somebody has to do it!  :-)

I know, I know.  I feel guilty reading about you and Bjorn doing all
that dirty work, so I felt the need to do some of that myself!  :o)

>> At 11:30 AM 12/12/99 +1100, Strike wrote in reply to Kevin Koroluk:
>>
>> Great reply!   But I can't resist this one:
>> >
>> >Diving does, of course, carry with it a high level of potential risk.
>But
>> >good training methods have reduced this potential to the point where it's
>> >often stated that diving is safer than netball, bowling,
>>
>> Yeah, Strike ... about bowling vs scuba:
>>
>> Here are dozens of events that may have been recorded in the book of
>> "accidents" or "injuries" in SCUBA (Saturday Club Unwinding Bowling
>> Association):
>
>(snip)
>
>> But how many bowling accidents resulted in paralysis (as in type II
>> DCI), embolism, ..., or FATALITY?  :-)
>
>Ah!  Good point! :-)
>
>>From memory - and now that I think about it! - the comparisons in the term,
>"Diving is safer than ...",

Seen that heading many times.  :-)

>were adapted by the
>diving industry from an article that appeared many years ago in 'Life'

Could've been Readers Digest too, I s'ppose.  :)

>magazine about shark attacks!

Now there may be some truths in THAT subtopic of risks relative to
bowling.  :-)

>The author stating that a person was at
>greater risk of *fatal* injury from playing netball, bowling, keeping bees,
>or falling debris from aircraft, etc. than they were by being attacked by a
>shark!   :-)

First of all, I know of only about three cases of shark "attacks" ... all
three appearing in Jaws, I fink.  :-)   Then, even if attacked (mistakenly
or otherwise), not many cases of lost limbs were "fatal".  <BG>

But those are not good ways to gauge the "risks" in scuba diving, or
fatality rates, in general.

Now that you recalled the Life article, I am curious as to how many
BOWLERS suffer from FATAL injury from bowling each year (other than
being shot by a disgruntled loser who happened to have a gun).  :-)

>However - and providing people approach it in a sensible fashion! - diving
>certainly has a lower fatality rate than many other activities.  ('Course,
>it's the 'sensible' thing that causes most of the problems!) :-)

I have no statistics to dispute or agree with THAT!   :-)

-- Bob.