> I said "motoring your BOAT" down there.   I was thinking you were only
> 90 miles from Cuba, which is not all that far from Coz since divers have
> been known to get lost in Coz and drifted to Cuba, dead or alive.  :-)
> But I was off by at least a hundred miles or so because it is 90 miles
> from the tip of KEY WEST to Cuba, and Ft. Lauderdale is a good 100+
> miles (by boat) to Key West.
>
> But you certainly wouldn't need to motor AROUND the Gulf (as you would
> driving).  Do you know if you BOAT can make it across?  Do other private
> boats?

I haven't checked the milage, so can't say for sure, but it's unlikely that
I could make the trip and much more unlikely that I'd try it in a 25 foot
boat with only 8 feet of beam.  The Gulf gets rough and very dangerous far
too quickly to venture that far from shore.  On a good day, meaning flat
seas, I get around 2.5 miles to a gallon (considered quite efficient) and,
with my 77 gallon tank "might" be able to make it close to 200 miles.  Like
some tech diving, however, I use a rule of thirds, reserving at least a
third of my fuel for the unexpected.  When seas get above about 2 feet or
so, my milage drops sharply and by the time they reach about 5 feet, is less
than half what it is under optimal conditions.  Several of the Bahama
Islands are in my range and, by island hopping, pretty much all of them are.

I could make Cuba safely enough but could not legally buy fuel there.  The
only way I would do it, and probably will one day, is along the coast, where
I can run for shelter if things get dicey.  There are boats with the range
to make the trip but, as far as I know, not the size of mine.  The smallest
one I know of is a 33 foot Oraca, a composite boat, with optional tanks and
drives.  When I checked, a few years ago, they were going for something like
a quarter million.  They're probably considerably more these days.

Lee