> >Heck, if I had the boat there, maybe I too could become a
> >clueless DM (joke).  I'm sure I could drop Bob as close to Maracaibo as
the
> >DM did earlier this year.
>
> Not if your boat can't negotiate little 6-8 ft swells.  :-)

It can handle swells considerably larger than that.  I've made crossings to
Bimini in 11 foot swells, noticably higher than the highest point on my
boat.  It's a bit freaky to look up at waves on both sides of your boat, but
as long as we're talking rollers, it's safe enough.  It's shorter, steeper
wall waves coming from any direction except the bow or stern that are the
greatest risk.  An 8 foot beam is not enough to ensure against capsizing.
Generally speaking we stay in port when seas rise above 4 feet and due to
the significant change in fuel economy certainly don't plan extended trips
in rough water.  It's not a matter of the boat's ability to negotiate them.
It's a matter of our personal willingness to do so and the cost of fuel.  .
On a good day, I can make Bimini on something like 25 gallons of gas, even
going against the Gulf Stream.  On a rough day, it takes 50 or more gallons
to make the same trip.  In a boat that only holds 77, on a trip to an island
where gas costs $2.65 a gallon, that's a significant difference.  When you
can go anytime, you don't have to go when conditions are less than ideal.

> Actually it was the clueless Boat Captain.  The DM is responsible for
> knowing the UW part of a site.  The Captain is responsible for knowing
> where the site is and where to drop divers off the boat!

Of course you are right.  I'll change that.  I too could be a clueless
captain.   At least I have a depth finder and GPS.  Jayna can be the
clueless DM.  I can hear it now.  Well, we're here.  I don't know the name
of this site, where it is relative to the boat or quite what you might see,
but I'm sure you'll love it.  Everyone in the water when you like, don't go
any deeper than you think you ought to and come back when you're done.
Don't get bent, we don't have any oxygen aboard and wouldn't know what to do
with it if we did.  Everyone got their SMB?  I hope they're big.  My
husband, the clueless captain, doesn't see as well as he used to.  Chances
of him following your bubbles are slim at best and the bigger your SMB, the
better the odds he'll find you before you reach Cuba.  Forget that Dive
Alert, he doesn't hear real well either.  Enjoy your dive.

Lee