On Wednesday, December 15, 1999 12:07 AM, Huw Porter wrote:

(snip)
> One evening my right calf ached noticably (that is, more than the rest of
me
> :-)).  I consulted the 'computer between my ears' which told me I'd come
> nowhere near an NDL at any stage and had done slow ascents and generous
> safety stops on every dive, the only risk factor had been finning into a
> moderate current for much of the previous dive, so decided it was
muscular.
> But this begs a serious question:  how on earth do you self diagnose a
mild
> DCS hit when you ache *all over*?

Hi, Huw!  That question puts me in mind of that old saying concerning people
who act on their own behalf in a legal dispute, "A person who defends
themselves has a fool for a client."!  It can equally apply to self
diagnoses in a suspected bends case. Particularly when the 'hit' is
undeserved!. :-)

From an objective view, if you suspect that it's a bend then it probably is!

From the subjective view - particularly when you've followed the dive plan
and the 'advice' of a computer, and where the symptoms are 'mild' - there's
a tendency to go into denial.

The best solution - particularly as a travelling diver - is to join an
orgnisation like DAN.  Advice and assistance is usually only a 'phone call
away from whereever you happen to be. So is peace of mind!  :-)

Strike