Art Greenburg wrote:

> That, IMO, is the true and best use of the "Stick". Analyze using a
> "real" instrument after you get your fill, and verify it on the boat
> before putting your rig together. Also, if you're getting your gas from a
> membrane or banked supply rather than on-the-spot mixing, the Stick is
> sufficient to verify your mix.

Good idea, Art, but impractical under some conditions, the same conditions
that are moving me to build or buy an analyzer of my own.  Cozumel is a good
example.  Tanks are filled at a remote location and are transported to the
shops and then the boats.  A diver has no opportunity to test at the source,
only at the boat.  Since I didn't notice an analyzer on the boat even though
several divers were using nitrox, I plan on having something of my own next
time I make the trip.  For nitrox fills closer to home, here in S. Florida,
a tester has always been available and, in fact, handed to me without
asking.  To the best of my knowledge, the shops here practice and support
what they preach (in their classes).  Unfortunately, not everybody,
everywhere does the same.

Lee