At 01:52 PM 12/13/99 -0500, Carl wrote:

Almost let this one fall through the cracks.

But that's not really a SWIM.  It's a current RIDE.

>> >Weeally?  Now why did you mix MILES with METERS?  To further confuse the
>> >m-challenged (where m=metric or m=math)?  :-)
>
>Actually I mixed it because most people have a feeling for how long it
>takes them to swim 100 meters (or even 100 yards which is roughly 10%
>shorter).  Most people don't have a clue as to how long it would take
>them to swim 1, 2, 3 or more miles...
>
>Perhaps I wanted to see how rusty some peoples math skills are
>getting, especially now that they're - ahem - retarded :^)

Yeah Carl.  SOME 'retarded' people FORGET more than you ever knew.
Touche.  :^)

>> >I think the swim is MUCH faster than that!   Let's see ...
>
>When I saw your first estimate, as a *swimmer*, I knew and even
>FELT that it was far too fast.

It don't take no Einstein or a Nobel Physicist to KNOW that the speed
(or velocity) in question is the SUM of the swimming speed AND the
speed of the current.   So, your *swimmer* experience means zilch
since you don't know the speed of the Gulf Stream moving along.

>That's the difference between
>someone who has at least a little experience swimming distance
>- I used to do 10 miles at a wack - could probably do 3-5 right now
>without killing myself and with that current, I could probably do
>about 25 or 30! :^)

I could easily do 50 lying on my back and taking a nap while the
current does the work.  :-)

>> Before Carl sticks HIS head out :^), let me correct my OWN arithmetic
>> error of dividing by 24x60 instead of 60x60.
>
>Good thing you're fast and I have real work to do ! :^)

It took only about 30 secs to make all those corrections, while I was
multi-tasking with REAL work ... as making a few grands during those
few minutes while I was busy trading real-time on a few hot stocks. :^)

>> >1 mi = 1.609344 km (exactly) = 1609.344 meters (exactly).
>>
>> So far, so good.  The rest SHOULD have been
>>
>> So, 4 1/3 mph is 6973.824 meters per hour, or 116.2304 meters per MINUTE.
>> or 1.93717 meters per SECOND so that a 100 meter swim would take only
>> 51.6216 seconds.  :-)
>>
>> So, Carl wuz right on the money!  :-)
>
>You should have said.... "So, Carl wuz right on the money, AS EXPECTED!"
>
>no smiley!

I gave you too much credit already!  <BG>

Notice the 51.6216 sec.  NOW Olympic and world record times are clocked
to one THOUSANDTH or a sec.   You left out .0016 sec.   Harrumpf.  :-)

-- Bob.