> On Sun, 26 Dec 1999 23:20:55 -0800, Barry Garcia
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >So, how do all of your languages handle active and passive voice, if at
> >all?

Hatasoe uses the infix -te- to turn active verbs into passive (stative)
verbs, and vice versa.  So:

mesha = to love
metesha = to be loved

nehasa = to be good
nehatesa = to make good

The agent of a passive sentence is indicated with the preposition aza, "by
means of".  Hence:

odumesha mato-dunkano
I love Matthew Duncan (and ain't I stupid for it?)

or

ometesha aza Mato-Dunkano
I am loved by Matthew Duncan (and don't I wish?)

With a passive (stative) verb, the use of -te- is somewhat different.

okalaka
I am evil.

Mato-Duncano sakalateka
Matthew Duncan makes me evil. (all love does, especially unrequited --
take notes, now)

These aren't the only voices I have.  There's also a reflexive infix -lu-

mesha = to love
melusha = to love oneself

And the emphatic e- -e- construction:

mesha = to love