>Yesterday being the southern hemisphere summer solstice - and the moon
being
>full and at its closest point to earth in seventy or so years

Now that would explain the incredible tides we had in Kho Samui today. At
high tide, there was no more beach and the waves kept coming, destroying
eveything in their way. Close to the shore, the see would be covered with
floating debris. The locals could not remember having ever seen such tides.
Boat traffic was interupted and hundreds of tourists are stranded on various
islands.

Jean-Marc