Foudn the below on sci.lang

Phil [log in to unmask]
 *** Support the creation of uk.media.tv.brookside ***
 unquote

 I have myself, about two years ago, been thinking about the
possible
 creation of a common European language, and on which basis it
should be
 constructed (of course, it is obvious that I am not the first
person to
 have thought about this, so the small effort I put into this
should only
 be seen as a possible contribution).
 I am quoting the above text because it is so similar to the
principles I
 thought a common European language should be built on.
 'Eurolang is based on the most widely spoken languages of the
EU, and
 its vocabulary is designed to be maximally-recognisable to EU
citizens'
 : this makes sense to me, with this reservation : obviously, as
many as
 possible nationalities and cultures constituting the European
continent
 should have some feeling of familiarity when seeing or hearing
something
 said or written in a common European language ; this implies
that it
 should not only be based on English, French, German, and
Spanish, which
 are probably the most widely spoken languages of the EU today,
but
 should contain elements as well of other languages which have
left their
 traces in European culture.
 Latin, for example, has permeated the whole of Europe since
about two
 thousand years, and I think  every European language has in its
 vocabulary a number of Latin words suffixes, prefixes and so on.
Think
 about the word automobile, which is of pure Latin origin
(although
 coined in the twentieth century to describe a newly created
object -
 which tends to suggest, btw, that Latin is not a "dead"
language).
 Simple words like 'plus' and 'minus', prefixes like 'pro-' or
anti-' are
 used in every modern European language.  Should these words be
left out
 from a common European language ? If there is anything common,
it is
 certainly these words which have come straight down from the
Latin
 culture.
 So, in my opinion, a common European language should contain a
 substantial fraction of Latin, or latin-originating, words and
 expressions, as every modern European will recognize them and
not have a
 feeling of alienness.
 Another rule I used while thinking about what the vocabulary of
a common
 European language should look like, was that the root words
should be
 all as short and simple as possible.  As this is about actually
creating
 an artificial language, there is no use, I think, in taking as a
basis
 needlessly long-stringed words or ones which already are
composites in
 themselves (I don't know about Eurolang and other projects, but
 imagine they are following this principle too).

 These are just a few thoughts on this subject.  If anyone, after
reading
 this, feels inspired to contribute something to it, or feels he
should
 express some critical or other comments, please feel free to do
so.
 And, if what I have written above is totally redundant because
an
 adequate common European language already exists, please let me
know too
 !

 Regards
 Eurolinguist