andrew <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have just returned from the Octagon in Dunedin where I have just seen
> the new year in.  I think it was broadcast overseas as well but I didn't
> see any cameras aimed at me (just as well!)

I saw you!

:) No, but seriously, something *was* broadcast from Auckland
(don't know where Dunedin is!) -- they're doing something
called "Millennium Day"; they started transmitting from Tonga or
Kiribati at their midnight (about 6 AM here in Argentina) and they
reached New Zealand at 8 AM. I was already awake, so I watched.
Really nice... Though I really didn't care about the singing guy...
But I loved the fireworks.

PS I just saw the day-welcome ceremony in the coast. Are there
Maori songs for each occasion on earth? :)

I don't know exactly what plans are *here*, except that there'll
be people singing in the Falls of Iguazú (Brazilian border) and
some classical dancing in Ushuaia (about 3,500 km south). And here
in Rosario they are preparing a huge firework show going along the
coast, including some fireworks which will be seen across the whole
city -- and it's a large city!

> then I can send in this translation.  Its sentiment, I felt, fitted in
> well with our ambivilence of the anticipation of seeing the new year in,
> and the fear associated with a computer crash.

Hope that fear is already set aside... I think a couple of satellites
died somewhere during the transmission, but that was all (as for now).

> Eo 'af            lla   'eidd di'll    adof   ci
> I  receive.pres.s the.f joy   of_the.m moment here

Where does _'eidd_ come from?

> Happy new year.  Ffelig' An New o ffelig' Calen Ianeir.

¡Feliz Año Nuevo!

--Pablo Flores
  http://www.geocities.com/pablo-david/index.html
  http://www.geocities.com/pablo-david/draseleq.html