]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TEI-L Home

TEI-L  January 2018

TEI-L January 2018

Daniel Webster breaks the TEI Guidelines

David Sewell <[log in to unmask]>

David Sewell <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Jan 2018 14:31:31 -0500

text/plain

This is amusing. I'm working with the Papers of Daniel Webster (an American
statesman of the early 19th century), and one of his letters begins thus, as it
appears in the printed edition:

====
TO JAMES HERVEY BINGHAM

P.S. The top of a letter is a new place for a postscript; excuse it, for its
design is to beg you to give my love to your and my friends P. and E.
 				Salisbury, April 3, 1804.
Good Hervey,
 	I am really much obliged by your ready attention to my requests [etc.
...]
====

I don't suppose that's grounds for requesting that <postscript> be added to
model.divTopPart? :-)

(Obviously, a generic div or divN will solve the tagging problem. But
semantically, isn't this a postscript, regardless of its position? And
presumably it was placed there after the body of the letter had been written.
Would anyone argue for encoding it at the end of the document, with a modifier
of some sort to indicate place?)

David

--
David Sewell